DIY Skincare Recipes
Recipe Instructions for: DIY Babassu SPF Body Lotion
This DIY beauty recipe calls for the use of some exotic butters! Babassu is known in the Amazon as ‘the tree of life’ because of its wide versatility and uses. Babassu butter is a hard, white odorless butter with the consistency of a smooth emollient wax. It melts slowly on contact with the skin rendering a cooling sensation. Somewhat similar to Coconut, Babassu does not leave the amount of oily residue on the skin and hair that Coconut does, and is considered to have better absorption and detangling properties (great for DIY haircare too!). It leaves the skin very soft and smooth without a greasy sheen. The Tucuma palm is from the same family of the Murumuru palm, the butters have similar properties. Both butters are known for their “vegetable silicone” properties, forming a transparent protective film on skin, without clogging pores. Raspberry seed oil provides UVA and UVB protection similar to titanium dioxide with an SPF protection factor against UVB rays of 28-50, and an SPF protection factor against UVA rays of around 8.
* This is not a sunscreen replacement. Please wear your sunscreen!
3 g raw shea butter
3 g raw cocoa butter
3 g babassu butter
3 g tucuma butter
30 ml carrier oil (apricot kernel)
10 ml raspberry oil (natural SPF)*
6 g emulsifying wax
110 ml distilled water
5 ml leucidal liquid complete (natural preservatives)
2 drops vitamin e
20 drops essential oil of your choice (ie. lavender)
- In a double boiler or microwave, gradually melt raw shea butter, raw cocoa butter, tucuma butter, babassu butter. Mix in raspberry oil and carrier oil (apricot kernel).
- Once melted, add in emulsifying wax.
- In a SEPARATE beaker, heat up the distilled water.
- Once the butter and oil melt, remove from heat and pour in a beaker or a Pyrex.
- Remove distilled water from heat and pour into a separate beaker or Pyrex.
- Whisk the butter and oil and gradually add in distilled water while whisking.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. Add in vitamin E and leucidal liquid complete preservative. At this point, you could add in your essential oil.
- Continue whisking fro about 15-20 minutes.
- Pour mixture into the container with pump.
- Pop in the fridge (cap on) for 10 minutes to set faster.
Get These DIY Ingredients:
Fresh from our Aromatherapy & Raw Skincare Bar….
Nuworld Botanicals Recipe: DIY Babassu SPF Body Lotion
A quick and easy recipe tutorial on how to make our creamy Babassu and Red Raspberry SPF Body LotionPosted by Nuworld Botanicals on Thursday, September 13, 2018